The North Country Tennis Association (NCTA) is a local non-profit tennis organization whose mission is to promote tennis in our community and to provide opportunities for youth and adults to play tennis on a year-round basis.
The NCTA is in its third season operating an indoor facility for members to play tennis on a season basis, has hosted events and programs in the Watertown area and is working to reach more awareness of tennis opportunities:
- The Watertown Tennis Tournament hosted by the NCTA and the City of Watertown Parks and Recreation has been brought back for the last two years with much success. The tournament was previously held with a 20 year gap. This tournament is held either in late August or the beginning of September. Check website for details closer to these months.
- The NCTA is a member of the United States Tennis Association (USTA) and has received a grant to teach a 10 and Under Tennis Program at no cost to the school or kids. The NCTA has chosen to work in conjunction with local after school programs. This program is a six-week session for 1 hour a week. It is designed to help learn the ABC’s(Agility, Balance & Coordination) of tennis and to have FUN while doing it. Age-appropriate tennis racquets and balls are introduced. Exercises like movement and tracking are implemented to help build skills which form the foundation of the game of tennis.
- The local YMCA now has youth tennis programs for ages 3-10 year olds as an addition to their current youth programs. More awareness of this program will help make it grow.
- The YMCA and The NCTA host a Tennis Festival every year for children 5-10 years of age. This Festival is free to children and will take place this year May 7th, 2016. Area representatives from USTA and member volunteers from the NCTA help with this program. Registration can be made at the YMCA in April.
- Private lessons are now available to all ages at the NCTA indoor facility. Lessons can be booked with the NCTA’s cerfified pro, Adrienne Alteri at 315-786-8316. Private lessons and group packages are listed on the following lessons link.
- Private Lessons
- Summber league tennis is free for anyone in the public interested in playing tennis with a variety of different levels of group play. Mondays and Wednesdays tennis is at 9am and Tuesdays and Thursdays is at 6pm at the Watertown High School tennis courts. All are welcome.
- Tennis is a life long healthy active sport that is mentally and physically challenging but FUN too! ENJOY!